At what point can we honestly ask ourselves how long we can maintain the consumerism paradigm that American society lives by? It has absolutely ruined our culture! The quest for things has put our families in thousands of dollars of debt, which then traps them in a cycle of limited options and wasted dollars on interest payments. It has destroyed our value systems as we leave our children at home by themselves or with immigrant nannies while parents work themselves to death and are never home so they can heap toys, private schools, vacations, and big houses on their kids, when all they really want is their parent's attention. It has put our planet on a downward spiral as it struggles to maintain its delicate balance of life while we plunder it to meet our ever growing demands for more crap. More energy. More food. More, more, more. And apparently, it is stripping us of our humanity. I can't think of what other conclusion I should come to when a 34 year old Walmart employee gets trampled to death as hundreds of people stampede into the store at 6 AM in a desperate frenzy to buy....I dunno, more stuff?
Let's use our current economic and environmental crisis to stop and re-evaluate, shall we? What really matters in life are the friends, family, and companions we share our time with. Instead, why not skip all the stress and worry that comes with buying people presents we can't really afford anyway, and instead focus on giving your loved ones something infinitely more valuable, your time. And, as an alternative to buying things people won't use or appreciate for long, why not visit the Wildlife Adoption Center and adopt a wild animal for each person on your shopping list? The money goes to rescue operations for wildlife and your loved ones will each get a cool kit that includes a picture, certificate, plush toy, and reusable gift bag. You can enter WILD15 to get a 15% discount on your adoptions at checkout.
Happy Holidays everyone (That's right Bill O'Reilly, I said Happy Holidays, not Merry Christmas), 'tis the season to be trampled!

1 comment:
Hi Ms.C!
Quite true and a travesty indeed. While I understand retailers using promotional discounts to drive sales and allow people to create pleasure for themselves, family, and friends, the fact remains we are already a well-developed nation and one that is in great debt. Many times I have pondered how much of the consumer products industry is superfluous waste and crap that serves no utilitarian purpose, but entertainment and an enhanced identity from the concept of ownership - "I have, therefore I am." It has made me consider my personal ethics and sense of purpose when looking over potential work opportunities in a business setting, particularly marketing. Yet, I cannot look at the situation too grimly, lest dark sunglasses affect my spirit and impair my ability to do good and give love in the Now, and what opportunities may be afforded me.
Post a Comment